LumberJocks

My New Router Table

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Blake updated 12-04-2007 03:07 AM 8 parts 52937 reads 109 comments total

Part 1: First Go at Sketchup, what a cool program!

11-04-2007 07:44 PM by Blake | 13 comments »

I have always liked CAD programs but have used them very little. I was an engineering major for a short time in college and took a few technical drawing classes, which I loved. I always thought it would be neat to own some sort of CAD program but never bought one. I think it is great that Google now offers one for free! I had never heard of Sketchup before I found LumberJocks. Anyway, I am building a new router table for my Incra fence+positioner, so I thought I would give it a go. The pro...

Read this entry »


Part 2: ...A Pile of Potential

11-04-2007 11:10 PM by Blake | 14 comments »

This is the exciting start of my new “proper” router table: Pile of wood… I had the lumber yard cut my plywood to size since it is difficult/impossible to maneuver a full sheet in my shop. I assembled the carcass with biscuits.

Read this entry »


Part 3: Finishing Cabinet Assembly and Dust Collection

11-07-2007 09:09 PM by Blake | 14 comments »

This project is really coming together. That biscuit jointer really makes quick and easy work of cabinet assembly. I have never really gotten a chance to use it before. I ordered an Incra Magni-Lock router plate through Woodcraft. It seems to be on the slow boat. But hopefully it will come at about the time I need it. Anyway, more chronicles of the progress I made on my day off yesterday: Here is the cabinet fascia with half lap joinery, 3/4” x 2” Beechwood (the most inex...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Table top and drawer slides

11-09-2007 08:14 AM by Blake | 12 comments »

More progress on the router table… I installed the drawer slides today. This is only because I intend wanted to put the table top on and it was hard enough to do with the cabinet face already on. I really should have put the drawer slides in first. It took me forever and I had to bend down through the cabinet or reach through the drawer openings to precisely mark, measure, drill and screw the slides in place. I actually intend to make the drawers later on, but I had to put the sli...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Doors and Drawers

11-15-2007 03:03 AM by Blake | 8 comments »

I would have waited until I made more progress until posting this next one, but since I have been stuck in bed with the flue for three days (and I am good for nothin’ in the shop) I may as well post what I’ve got. The following was done before I got sick. I am keeping the joinery as simple as possible on this project. I want it to look nice but it mostly needs to be functional. So I used simple grooved “style and rails” for the doors and drawer fronts, with more of ...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Finishing Touches

11-28-2007 07:56 AM by Blake | 12 comments »

I’ve been adding the details as I have had time here and there after work. I finally got my router plate (Incra Magni-lock) which I had to special order through Woodcraft because as far as I could tell nobody carries it. Woodcraft had to order it from Incra and have it shipped to them before shipping it to me. This is what I got: I liked the actual Incra router plate better than the woodpecker brand version. And after it finally arrived in the mail I was pretty glad I had chos...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Tedious details... Gettin' there

12-02-2007 03:57 AM by Blake | 12 comments »

Here’s what I have accomplished in the past week or so… Drawers:So last time I talked about my drawer construction and my not-so-orthodox method of “biscuit-slotting” them together (the “don’t try this at home, kids” method). I got scolded for that a little, and for good reason. It probably wouldn’t have lasted as long. So I ended up just shooting them full of brads to reinforce them since I figured out that the brads would be hidden by the s...

Read this entry »


Part 8: A Proud Moment

12-04-2007 03:07 AM by Blake | 24 comments »

So, No more messin’ around! Its time to cut the hole! With my template all biscuited and glued up, I shaved off the other half of the biscuits and sanded everything flat. With a little sanding and shaving off the inside I got the router plate to fit perfectly inside. So I decided to use my fabricated router plate template to make a one-piece template. This way I could also test the accuracy of it. So I sandwiched together the template, one solid piece of plywood which would be the...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase