So I decided to make a bead around the drawers which would give me the room I needed to clean up both the drawers and openings. Thanks to bfd’s idea I decided to go for the template idea to fix the drawer openings.
So I milled up some strips for the bead:
Here’s how I made the template to fit the drawer with the bead…
I drew the outline of the bead on a scrap of plywood:
Then I cut some scraps to fit those lines and stapled them to the plywood piece:
Let’s make sure it will fit inside:
Then on the router table I used a template bit to follow those scraps to make the final template:
And Walah… a template:
Finally that drawer opening is squared up:
And now I just need to chip away at those corners:
I decided to use dowels to join the front-to-back supports for the sewing machine recess. That router template I just used came in handy to give me a bigger surface to steady the portable drill press for drilling the dowel holes:
One last dry fit:
And finally its together:
Once the glue was dry and the clamps were off I had quite a bit of scraping to do:
The middle cross piece was secured between the two supports with dowels. I almost used screws here but at the last minute I went for the all-natural:
SEWING MACHINE SHELF
The dropped-down sewing machine shelf will need to be attached permanently to the front of the table but the back end of it has got to have some room to expand. So I drilled the holes with some breathing room. I made slots for the screws:
The front of the shelf was biscuited to the apron:
And the rest was screwed through those expansion slots from underneath:
I also made an opening for the machine’s power cord:
I’m on a marathon this weekend to finish this project. More will come soon!
Deadline… Saturday night!!!
Total Project Time So Far: 29 1/2 hours
-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com