When I left off I was ready to glue up the apron and legs.
So in my excitement to see it take shape, I did a little last minute trimming of the tenons and one more dry fit, and then started assembling it with glue in sections.
Here’s the front:
And the back:
Then I dry fit the two sections together with the side aprons for the final glue up:
Which is when it occurred to me… was something missing? THE DRAWERS!!!
I forgot to cut the drawers out of the face of the front apron!
I panicked. I wasn’t even sure how I was going to cut the drawer fronts out of the piece, because I wanted to use the cut-outs as the drawer-fronts (so the grain is continuous). This means that I need a very small kerf. I guess this dilemma was what made me put this job off until later.
The glued-up section was way to awkward to put on the scrollsaw now. Well, lets start by drawing the lines and seeing where these drawers are gonna be.
I used a scrap from the apron arch to mimic the bottom line of the drawer:
Now that I had my lines, I needed straight, thin kerfs around those drawers. So what did I think to do? (I should not even be admitting to this!)
I figured I could take a cheap, dull, hobbiest handsaw and saw straight through the middle off one of the hardest woods I’ve ever worked with. Yea, that’ll work. (I hope nobody actually reads this blog.)
(Viewer discretion advised, some may be offended by the next picture…)
Well, as you can imagine, that didn’t work. (Shocking, huh?) During the next three hours I did not take pictures because I was so frustrated I forgot. Sorry.
I wrestled that stupidly awkward apron with legs attatched up onto the scrollsaw and cut the drawer fronts out and the result was not pretty. The edges were fairly ugly and the pilot holes I had to drill for the blade were certainly visible. I wasn’t too happy with myself.
But I finally popped those suckers out: (notice the saw mark on the first photo left over from the handsaw delusion)
I don’t think those photos show how bad and uneven those saw marks are. Take my word for it.
It’s all good, I’ve got a plan. After sleeping on it I decided to cut the drawer fronts down a hair until they are squared up and clean. Then I will rasp, file, plane and chisel the drawer holes until they are squared up too. This will leave a considerable gap after the waste is gone.
Then I plan to make a “bead” around the drawers to fill the gap. The bead will sit proud of the drawer front slightly and be rounded on both sides. It will look like I planned it the whole time (I promise!) So a new design detail was just born out of destiny, you could say.
The next order of business took over an hour of just staring at the half-assembled table and designing on my sketch pad. I had to do a lot of planning to figure out how the inside structural joinery would work around the dropped-down sewing machine recess.
Here’s what some of my drawings looked like:
I ran out of wood for these pieces (last night) so I picked up another board today. After all the careful planning this next section should go fairly quickly (I hope).
Total Project Time So Far: 23 1/2 hours
-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com