Yesterday I cut the curves in the apron and the tapers in the legs.
I just bent a stick between two blocks for the long curve and marked it:
I used a bowed stick with a string to mark the smaller arc:
I made the cuts on the bandsaw and left a hair extra:
Then the curves were trimmed right down to the line on the R.O. sander:
In this photo you can barely see the lines I drew for the “recess” drop-down for the sewing machine.
Well, this is how I made the vertical cuts for that recess:
Then I made the horizontal cut on the bandsaw and squared it up with a plane.
Marking the tapers in the legs:
I also cut those freehand on the bandsaw.
Then I cleaned the saw marks on the jointer with the tapered sides down:
My new thickness sander works equally well as a regular drum sander:
My dad stopped by for about an hour and helped sand the faces of the apron. He is the one that sort of “commissioned” me to do this project (and trusted me enough to buy the wood). He has been following this blog. If you get a chance say “hi…”
It’s pretty much ready to glue up at this point.
Total Project Time So Far: 17 1/2 hours + 1 dad-hour
-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com