I have had this little Delta Mortiser for about a year and have never used it. So I am exited to finally give it a workout. I learned a lot.
I put a lot of time into laying out the joinery. I’ve never done this before. Here are some of the sketches I made including a printout of my sketchup drawing and a birds-eye view sketch of the joinery.
Vertical measurement sketch:
When I had worked out the details I drew it out on a scrap cut from one of the legs:
I figured out pretty fast that you can’t use the benchtop mortiser unless it is bolted to your bench or it will fall forward when you pull down on it. So here it is bolted to a temporary tool stand and you can see the first test cut being made:
The first several holes were trial and error for getting the depth right. This picture shows the depth and how close the mortises come to each other:
One thing I learned is that it is good to have a pick handy for clearing chips out once in a while:
The first test run came out Ok but I realized that my mortise chisel was not perfectly square to the fence. It made several little ridges on the inside faces of the mortise.
So I squared the chisel to the fence with a machinist square.
I had to shine a flashlight under it and turn it until there was no more sliver of light between the chisel and the square:
The last lesson I learned the hard way is that a mortise chisel gets VERY VERY HOT. I burned my finger. It is hard to tell in this photo because it was taken just after I did it. But today (the next day) I have a perfect square on my finger the shape of a mortise chisel.
The test cuts went well. Now I am set up and ready to make the real mortises. I’ll keep you posted.
TOTAL PROJECT TIME SPENT SO FAR: 5 hours
-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com