First of all, I’ve made some more progress on the attic “loft” space above the garage. You might remember this “before” photo:
Here it is now… It is about halfway finished:
And I’ve already started moving storage up into this valuable space… woo hoo!
So it turns out I’ve been a very nice boy this year and Santa put a little something in my stocking:
Well now that I have the two most important pieces of the shop (table saw and miter saw) I can start planning around them. I started out just trying to design my miter saw bench. But I love sketchup and couldn’t help myself so I drew the entire shop.
Especially since I have a lot of work to do before I can get to the fun part of moving in machinery. Unfortunately finishing the ceiling, walls, and electrical is going REALLY slowly since I don’t have much free time these days.
Here are the preliminary drawings. I’m sure it will change and evolve quite a bit as I start putting it together.
(Bummer… I just realized these photos are really low-res on LJ. So I will list the captions from left to right below each photo)
- Water Softener (cylinder at left)
- Incra Track and Shop Stop (as miter fence)
- Wall cabinets will go above bench
- 6” jointer (roll out)
- DeWalt Planer (roll out)
- DeWalt 12” Slider
- Tool boxes (tool chest “lowers” built into bench)
- Washer and Drier will be enclosed with closed doors
- Water Heater (cylinder at right)
- Man door (far right)
- Clamp racks on wall
- Drill press
- Jet dust collector enclosed in wall for sound
- Hand tool wall cabinet
- 14” bandsaw
- DeWalt table saw / router combo with Incra positioner fence. Mobile on casters.
- Garage is 21’ by 13 1/2’
- Additional wall space for hanging cabinets, clamp racks, etc.
- Plenty of room around table saw / router combo so it can be re-positioned as needed for long or wide stock
- Cross-cut fence is forward of wall so long stock can go out garage door if nesassary.
- Bandsaw is also mobile
- There is room near the bench for a sharpening station (not pictured)
- Step from man door (far right)
What do you think about this layout?
By the way here is my old shop if you want to see where I’m coming from: http://lumberjocks.com/Blake/workshop
-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com