So, No more messin’ around! Its time to cut the hole!
With my template all biscuited and glued up, I shaved off the other half of the biscuits and sanded everything flat. With a little sanding and shaving off the inside I got the router plate to fit perfectly inside. So I decided to use my fabricated router plate template to make a one-piece template. This way I could also test the accuracy of it.
So I sandwiched together the template, one solid piece of plywood which would be the test piece as well as the final template, and a scrap for underneath. Then I made the cut with my template router bit:
Here is the result: A perfect template.
A perfect fit!
I used carpet tape to stick it to the table top:
I then routed the inner “shelf” which the plate will sit on:
And then routed out the inner part, which cut the whole:
Dropped the plate in… perfect fit… A proud moment!
Used my little dial indicator jig to make sure it was flat:
And the rest of these photos are just to show off:
You may have seen this on my projects page (throat insert holder):
Thanks for staying tuned. It has been fun to build and I had a good time documenting and sharing the journey. But I am really glad this project is done. I still have a few small details to add. I want to oil it, it needs some ventilation, and I need to make a router bit holder for the drawers. But for now this is pretty much a wrap. I am looking forward to getting back to some real projects.
-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com