Today I finally got to assemble all of the components! After I worked out all the details in the hardware, it was just a matter of putting it all together. Here is the hole for the main hinge being drilled:
Skip ahead a few steps and this is what I ended up with:
Then I glued the hinged “spine” piece to the back of the podium panel:
And reinforced it with through-dowels (the easiest form of joinery).
Once I had the podium mechanism assembled to use as a reference, I was able to decide the placement of the height-adjustment holes. I spaced them every 2 inches.
Then I counter-sank them from both directions:
And its all together!
That Claro walnut will be amazing when it is finished.
I did a LOT of head-scratching and looked at a ton of music stands on the internet including LJ projects. I never saw anything like this but I call this mechanism “keeping it simple.”
I still need to do the final hand-sanding and then its off to the finish booth. The next post will be in ‘Projects.’ I spent another 3 hours today for a total of 31 hours of building time.
-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com