This is the “shelf” piece for the top of the music stand (aka “podium”). I cut a rabbet on the table saw where it will glue to the podium.
The glue-up for the shelf:
After the glue dried I cut the bottom of the shelf off at an angle:
Then I decided to reinforce the shelf joint with dowels:
This piece is the beginning of the “spine” that will back the podium and will also serve as a hinge to angle the podium:
I cut it into what I thought would be its final shape on the bandsaw. The half-circle is the hinge:
Then I cut the other half of the hinge into the adjustable-height post with the tablesaw tenon jig.
After a little shaping:
Then I realized that the half-circle I originally made was the wrong size. So after a little trimming I had a hinge:
I wanted a very thin, strong piece (and it will eventually have a slot running through the middle) to hold the podium at any angle. So I decided to laminate (essentially make my own plywood) with three thin pieces of walnut.
The lamination glued up:
And this is the result of a lot of head scratching and trial ’n error… The spine is hinged on the post, and the laminated “podium-angle-adjusting-holding thingy” keeps it there. The only thing missing now is the slot in the thingy and some hardware.
Another 6 hours today for a total of 28 hours of building time.
-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com