Once the glue had fully cured on the post I ran it through the planer.
Then I used a table saw tenon jig to cut the joint where the post connects to the base.
I made multiple kerfs on the table saw,
And then removed the waste on the bandsaw.
The finished joint dry fitted:
I forgot to take a photo of the “before,” but this is how I repaired an inch-long chip that broke off one of the feet when I cut the joint. I started by using a chisel and then a file to make sure that the area with the missing chip was completely flat. Then I super glued this small scrap to the flat spot I created.
Then I cut off the over-hanging edges of the scrap. By the time I sand and finish it you will never notice.
Sanding all of the parts… the whole thing will get hand-sanded in the end.
Pre-drilling and counter-sinking holes for screws on the bottom of the feet:
Ready for glue up. The screws eliminate the need for clamps. Also in this photo you can just barely see the repair I made if you look closely! (Look at the wood near the screw)
I did a lot of head scratching to decide what kind of detail I wanted to do on the post. Inlayed curly maple lines? Cut off the corners to make it octagonal? Soften it with a round-over? I finally settled on a stopped quarter-round cove along each corner. Simple and elegant.
I drilled holes for the dowels that will reinforce the joint at the base:
And glued it with epoxy.
Making the hardware:
This is the start of the hardware that will make the upper part of the post adjustable. I needed to shorten this brass threaded insert on my grinder:
And after drilling the hole, this is how it gets inserted:
This is a bronze bushing (not threaded) that will be on the opposite side from the threaded insert:
It was also too long:
I roughed up the sides and inserted it with a little epoxy:
Here is the all-thread for the “Pin” that will hold up the upper post:
Cut and grind:
A little metal epoxy will attach the knob permanently to the pin. This kind of epoxy needs to cure over night.
This work represented about 6 hours over two days for a total of 15 hours of building time so far.
-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com