Its been a while since I have updated this blog, but I have been working on the Credenza off and on. The problem is that there is not much to show for the work I have been doing on it lately. It hasn’t changed in appearance much since the last post. This is mostly because of all the sanding I’ve had to do. Hours and hours and HOURS of sanding. I’ve also spent days on all the final fitting, adjusting, aligning, and fussing with all of the parts and hardware to make sure it is actually ready for the finishing booth.
I decided a while back that I was not going to hand finish this piece. I will get it professionally finished. This decision is in part because I found the right finishing guy. But it is also just HUGE and I’d rather pay someone else to spray it than spend the next hundred years french polishing it myself.
Some of the following photos are in my old shop, before I moved into the new shop. Then I didn’t work on it for a while since I got sidetracked by the Freestanding Cabinet. And now, since I have to move again, I made the decision to get this thing DONE so it doesn’t go back to my tiny old shop.
Here are a few more photos that I snapped over the last few months:
Running the doors and drawer fronts through my Ryobi thickness sander at my old shop:
Many many many many many many many hours of hand sanding:
I cut a slot down the end-grain side of each door and drawer front:
These battens will be laminated into those slots to reinforce the solid panels and stabilize them to prevent warping:
Here the battens are getting glued in place on the table saw, since it is a perfectly flat surface. Shims are used to slightly hyper-extend the opposing high corners in the hopes that when it “relaxes” it will be flat.
The battens glued up:
And here they are trimmed:
Oh look, more sanding. Every outer surface of this Credenza has been polished to 600 grit. You can see your reflection in the figured Jatoba when it is done. A new trick I learned: after you sand to 220 grit with the random orbit sander, cut a circular piece of 600 grit paper a little bigger than the 220 disk. If your sander is connected to a vac hose, the suction plus the friction of the 220 disk will hold your 600 grit disk in place. It is surprising how well it works. So you can use your random orbit sander with any sandpaper you want!
I broke my big toe nail… nothing a little epoxy won’t fix. Luckily this was on the back side of a rear foot. I didn’t take an “after” photo but once it was sanded you could barely notice it.
I love this next photo… the Credenza on the lift. Man, what a luxury. It really made it easy for all the tedious fitting of hardware.
A did add a second vent for cross-ventilation (for the electronics) but I still need to order it.
Finally, when everything is trimmed and fits perfectly, it is disassembled and all of the hardware is removed in preparation for the finish shop.
Then It gets loaded up in my truck…
And off it goes!
My friend Don (who I have been sharing the shop space with) has helped me immensely over the past three weeks to complete this project while we still have our shop. THANKS A TON DON. Believe it or not, the above photos represent about 56 hours between the two of us.
Total building time so far: 146 hours.
-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com