Stanley No. 62
After putting the Stanley No. 62 low angle jack plane through electrolysis still had quite a bit of work to do. Here is a “before photo” as a reminder:
In my last post WayneC commented:
I would seal the japanned area using a clear schallac. This will prevent further rust. 3 in 1 oil on the adjustment screw. On the knobs they look repairable to me. Glue and refinish. Given the value of this plane, I would keep the original knobs. I would use a good paste wax on the rest of the metal parts.
Well thats exactly what I did (Thanks Wayne). The Shellac looked great on the old Japanning. Even though it wasn’t all there it re-emphasized whats left of it.
And I did decide to repair and refinish the tote and knob and they came out great. The tote was broken in two places (three pieces). So I drilled three holes up through it and drove 2 1/2” finish nails into the holes to reinforce the epoxied joints. Then I stripped the old finish off and applied thee coats of Shellac.
Anyway, here is the finished result:
I also finished my bench! Sorry, I didn’t take any more progress photos toward the end. But since the last blog I basically just drilled the 3/4” dog holes, made vice handles, and finished the top with Danish Oil and Wax. Here is the finished project:
Now its time to put it all together and make some shavings!
-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com