LumberJocks

Dewalt 735 Chip Collection/Stand #3: Building the Cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Blackbear posted 465 days ago 1113 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Materials shapes the dimensions Part 3 of Dewalt 735 Chip Collection/Stand series Part 4: Installing the door and filters »

With the dimensions figured out in the last post, I set to work cutting a full 4×8’ sheet of plywood down into the sides, top and bottom of the cabinet.

Assembling the cabinet went pretty quickly. I didn’t try to do anything too fancy with the joinery, I just cut everything square with the plan to use a biscuit joiner and possibly some screws. Although I have a full extension table on my saw I found it easier to cut pieces to rough size using a skill saw and then do the final dimensioning on the table saw. I cut an extra inch long when cutting with the skill saw off the full 4×8’ plywood sheet. When cutting opposite sides on the table saw, I made sure to cut them in succession so the fence was set up exactly the same.

I started the glue up on top of my table saw, which is currently the flattest surface in my shop. You might think the cement slab is, but nope. After I got everything clamped down tight, I moved it to the basement floor. During glue up I was extra careful to keep the four faces aligned that would face the door. I also used some large construction squares to make sure everything was aligning nice and square.

While the cabinet was clamped and gluing, I put a liberal amount of glue in addition to the squeeze out in the inside corners. I ran a bead similar to using caulk. My thought was this would help seal the joints of the cabinet, making it more air tight.

Once the glue was dry I removed the clamps and installed the casters. I bought non-swivel casters so that I could install them side to side on the cabinet. This would keep the cabinet from moving when I’m feeding wood through on the ends. I carefully measured both ends of each caster’s sides to the edge of the cabinet, trying to keep them all the same so the casters would roll in the same plane (or rather, parallel planes).

With the casters on, I flipped it upright and put the planer on top to check the strength and dimensions. Everything looked good so far. I then slid the green bin in, making sure it fit. It did.

Next post we’ll throw some fittings on and wrap it up.



2 comments so far

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

12860 posts in 1271 days


#1 posted 465 days ago

Lookin’ good….
Are you worried about it tipping, as it looks a little top heavy, especially at the start and finish of long boards?

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

View Blackbear's profile

Blackbear

76 posts in 815 days


#2 posted 465 days ago

I was not worried about it until the cabinet was assembled with the casters on it. It is fairly stable, but if you try putting a 12’ board on it without supporting the end at all, it would tip. Although I’m thinking about installing some fold away feet on the front and back, the planer isn’t really designed to support a 12’ board by the end without any additional support anyway. An couple of infeed and outfeed roller assemblies would fix any tipping concern.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase