This weekend I finished up cutting the tenons (80% by hand) for the base, fitted them into the legs. Router planes ROCK!!!! I also drilled the long stretchers for the bench bolts and smooth planed all the legs. That was a lot of work!
Today, I mixed up some epoxy and put the ends of the base together. A pic of the ends cooking in the dining room is below.
After taking them out of the clamp, I cleaned up the squeeze out, moved the top slabs onto my existing bench. I’ve got the legs on the slabs in the pic below in order to bet the correct spacing for the slabs. Tuesday, I hope to full assemble the base, mark the locations of the mortises in the tops for the legs, and if possible cut some spacers for the gap.
Scratch that. I’m going to be working 4 10s this week so I can hit the Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event coming Friday. This means I’m unlikely to have time to work on the bench. Drat.
-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.