Almost finished with the front slab. Cut the sockets for the Condor Tails, let’s just say that Jameel’s instructions, while excellent, aren’t quite as easy to pull off as one would think. Also, when test fitting Condor Tails, it’s a good idea to use more than simply press fitting by hand. I ended up cutting the sockets too deep, which I discovered when I was fitting them and knocked the joint together. “Hey, why did the tails go in so far??” Fortunately, I had the test tails I’d cut previously, so I just cut some shims off of them, sanded them to fit. Eventually, I got a joint that works, sort of.
Next step was gluing the endcap and front strip. I used epoxy for the Condor Tail and endcap for the gap filling, and yellow glue for the front strip. It all went together, not as nicely fitted as I would like, but I’m pretty sure it’s not going to fall apart on me. Some time spent with the handplanes bringing the tops of the dog and front strip down to size, and it was time to move on to final fitting of the vise.
I worked on that tonite, and woohoooo! I expected to have to spend a lot of time fiddling with it, shimming the rails and such, but it turned out that all I had to do was drill the screw holes for the rails. The work I’d spent previously on the rails paid off.
Next step: Shaping and fitting the dog block, then securing it, putting some suede on it, and voila, the vise will be done. After that, it’s on to working on the base.
Pics to come.
-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.