LumberJocks

Roubo-ish Workbench Build #8: Prepping for Takeoff

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by BikerDad posted 03-10-2015 05:30 AM 1503 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: New Year, same old slow... Part 8 of Roubo-ish Workbench Build series Part 9: Slabbin' like bacon! »

More progress has been slowly taking place on my Roubo. Because the endcap tenon was just a bit long, and my pattern bit was maxed out for depth, I went to town chopping the mortise a bit deeper by hand. It looks ugly, but it’s the bottom of a mortise, which is now deep enough.

The next step was to drill the holes for the barrel nuts and bolts for attaching the endcap. So, I read the instructions, and based on them I find that, oh noes, I don’t have a 1” Forstner bit. I secure one, along with a LONG 1/2” twist bit (I’ll need that later for the stretchers), and set to drilling the endcap. I drill both endcap counterbores, then drill the first bolt hole. Ahhhhhnd then I notice that the Endcap hardware is not the same size as the stretcher hardware. Grrrrrrr… it would be nice if the instructions had pointed that out. Fortunately, I had not yet drilled the holes for the barrel bolts. Holes which require a 7/8” bit. Yet another Forstner bit I don’t have. Project stalls….

This past weekend, I picked up the 16 piece Forstner bit set that Woodcraft has on sale. Why? Because I’m sick of getting caught out without a bit. Normally, I buy Freud carbide Forstners, but I figure I’ll use these Woodcraft bits when I don’t have a carbide bit, and when I use one enough that I have to sharpen it, I’ll upgrade that size to a carbide bit. Anyhow, last night, just before going to bed, I used the handy dandy new Forstner bit, along with a spade bit, and drilled the first barrel nut hole.

Moment of truth. SUCCESS. The bolt hole intersects nicely with the barrel nut hole. Triumphant, I drill the other bolt and barrel nut hole, again finding SUCCESS. Doubly successful, I call it a night.

Today, I tackled one of the most intimidating (for me) tasks on this build so far. The Condor Tail. I had previously made the jig, using a 1:8 slope, per Jameel Abraham's instructions. This was actually my third attempt, the first two having failed due to 1) crappy blade that drifted more than Ken Block, and then after solving that, the lack of fence on my bandsaw. So, having put a Timberwolf 1/2” blade on, and adding a Kreg Fence, I was ready. I first did a test set, using a cutoff from the front lamination piece. Worked quite nicely.

Yet… when I went to make the actual cut, I ran into some complications. Specifically, it’s a lot easier to make the cuts on a piece that’s about 9” long than it is on one that’s 9’ long. While the tail cuts were almost as simple, the shoulder cuts were essentially impossible. Crosscutting just wasn’t doable, so I had to do the shoulder cuts by hand. Done, but not nice and clean. Sigh.

So, here’s were it stands now…

Next up, cleaning up the tails, relieving the backside of the tails, and then cutting the half blind pins. Wohooo! That’s going to be more “excitement.”

-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.



2 comments so far

View woodcox's profile (online now)

woodcox

1567 posts in 1473 days


#1 posted 03-10-2015 06:26 AM

Looks good bd! A lot of real estate in that 9’. That is going to be a nice bench! Early congrats:)

-- "My god has more wood than your god" ... G. Carlin.

View Buckethead's profile

Buckethead

3140 posts in 1330 days


#2 posted 03-10-2015 12:50 PM

Wow! Looks good. Some serious beef going on there.

-- Support woodworking hand models. Buy me a sawstop.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com