I’mmmmmm back! I kinda got derailed over the last two weeks. Between trouble with trying to get a mobile base built for Uncle Max (my jointer/planer), job search & interviews, and wasting time, I didn’t get much accomplished until last night, when I glued up two more pairs of timbers. Today, I got down to some serious milling. 1 1/2 bags of chips later, I’m ready for the final glue ups for the slabs. Well, milling wise I am. I’ve still got to lop some length off the timbers, which is going to b an adventure itself, as I’ve got to come up with a good method of supporting 10’x4.5’ x 3.75” hard maple on my CMS when I’m only trimming the ends. 9’ of those timbers hanging off one end will be interesting.
All that said, I have learned a lesson today, and it is one I’d like to share with y’all.
MILL EACH TIMBER close to final dimensions separately. While it will mean more trips back and forth, each trip will be much, much easier than it is when trying to muscle around a lamination of four timbers.
Tomorrow, I hope to get the rear slab glued up, and the final two chunks of the front slab glued up. I’ll probably take some progress pics as well.
-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.