LumberJocks

Roubo-ish Workbench Build #3: Bump in the build, or how a crappy mobile base can bring an Italian Stallion to a halt...

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by BikerDad posted 09-20-2014 08:53 AM 1856 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Gorilla Glue, or more accurately, grrrrrrrrrrrr glue. Part 3 of Roubo-ish Workbench Build series Part 4: Hangin' with Uncle Max »

So, I’ve managed to get everything face jointed and the first of the big lamination done. I’ve decided I’m going to go with 8 segments in each half, at least for the moment. The first big lamination was 4 segments, and I had intended to do 3 more 4 segment laminations. That plan has changed though, for two reasons. First, getting all four segments to align turned out to be more trouble than expected. Second, too messy. I’m going to do them in pairs, then glue the pairs up in pairs, then I’ll have 4 segment chunks, which I’ll glue together. Once I have all 4 segment chunks, I’ll decide what’s next.

Unfortunately, as this blog title indicates, I’ve encountered a bump in the road. During the 4 segment glue-up that I did Wednesday, I discovered that the last timber I had edge jointed, which was done separately from all the others, was nowhere near straight. Anybody with knowledge of how fine a machine a Minimax FS30 is would likely conclude that the problem was operator error, and they would be correct. Sort of. The error though wasn’t any of the normal errors one sees when jointing. Nope, this was a new one.

The problem is that my mobile base flexes. Badly. I had to move the beast around some in order to use it in planing mode, and then move it back to joint the one timber that had escaped edge jointing the first time around. When I got it repositioned for edge jointing, the swivel wheels weren’t in the same orientation as last time. This meant that the jointer would rock slightly fore and aft. When I passed the timber over the jointer, it rocked nose down enough that the timber would no longer clear the outfeed support. Rather than stopping, I put a bunch of weight on the tail of the jointer, enough to lift the nose and timber and clear the outfeed support. Once clear, I resumed the normal jointing, with now obvious but not surprising results. The jointer rocked back nose down, and voila, say goodbye to my straight edge. First pic below is one end, middle pic is the middle, and the last pic is the other end of the 4 segment chunk. Notice how dreadfully offset the top segment is in both the first and last pic. There was no joy in Mudville when I saw that…. none at all.

As a result, I’ve spent the last two days sorting out how I’m going to fix my mobile base problem. I’ve gathered the materials, looked at a bunch of mobile bases online, watched some mobile base videos, and developed a half-assed plan. Even the half-assed plan faced a major challenge, namely, 540 pounds of Italian iron, copper, steel and assorted other materials. Getting the J/P out of it’s existing mobile base and onto a new one isn’t something I was looking forward to. I mulled over a variety of methods using levers and blocking, but none of the options open to me working by myself looked to be doable without an unacceptable risk of injury or damage. I’ll post pics tomorrow of the solution I’ve come up with, hopefully along with pics of Uncle Max (my nickname for the J/P) on zooming around the shop on his new wheels.

-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.



1 comment so far

View NormG's profile

NormG

5499 posts in 2466 days


#1 posted 09-21-2014 12:23 AM

Heart breaking to say the least, let us know how it is resolved

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com