LumberJocks

Roubo-ish Workbench Build #2: Gorilla Glue, or more accurately, grrrrrrrrrrrr glue.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by BikerDad posted 09-15-2014 08:45 AM 1835 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Catching up, or "where we're at now." Part 2 of Roubo-ish Workbench Build series Part 3: Bump in the build, or how a crappy mobile base can bring an Italian Stallion to a halt... »

Today, I spent some more time working on the timbers for the top. The top will be about 27” wide, laminated from 18 segments of 8/4 hard maple. Actually, its going to be more than 18, because I only was able to get 14 width pieces (@ 5” wide) from my stock, and I’m gluing the remaining four segments up from the ripping leftovers from the 14. That means one 3 piece glue up, and 3 2 piece glue ups. I got through all three of the two piece glue-ups today, the first two I did using Titebond II, the last I did using Gorilla Glue. Since I haven’t done any large glue-ups using yellow glue in a few years, I ended up using a fair bit more than necessary, but still used a lot more than I would have expected. The glue ups are on edge, 9+ feet long and close to two inches thick, 5” wide. 15 clamps on each one.

While it was overly messy, the yellow glue process went much easier than the polyurethane, although I suspect the poly squeeze out will be a lot simpler to fix. Why, you may wonder, did the yellow glue process go easier? Because poly glue has the consistency of cold honey. It is a royal pain to squeeze out of the bottle, and more troublesome to spread. Why is it so blasted thick??

Tomorrow, actually, it is tomorrow now, but after I get up in the morning, I’ll glue up the last segment, then I’ll start cleaning up the face jointed surface of the 14, thickness all of them, face joint the 4 glued up timbers, thickness them, and start the big laminations. In truth, I don’t expect to actually get started on the big laminations tomorrow, but optimism never hurt.

Here a pic of one of today’s glue-ups on my existing bench.

-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.



2 comments so far

View MadJester's profile

MadJester

1947 posts in 1891 days


#1 posted 09-15-2014 01:12 PM

I’ve always noticed that the clean up on yellow glue is easier when it’s still wet…you can either wipe with a damp rag or wait just a bit and scrape off before it sets completely…with the Gorilla glue, you definitely have to wait for it to dry…but it does pop off pretty easy once it’s dry…a little scraper, chisel or for small drips, just a little razor knife…I have the same issue with getting it out of the bottle…and the older it is, the harder it is to squeeze…..I’ve actually switched to buying the smaller sized container…if even the smallest bit of moisture gets into the larger size, it starts to ‘cook up’.....and then I end up wasting most of it…..hope the bench build comes out awesome!

-- Sue~ Mad Jester Woodworks, "Not what I have, but what I do is my kingdom" Thomas Carlyle

View Duckster's profile

Duckster

355 posts in 811 days


#2 posted 09-15-2014 01:15 PM

I am planning on starting a table soon for my shop. I still don’t know where to start, but looking. Looks like you have made a great start

-- Duckster, Texas. {Any day of fishing, Beats a good day at work.} Wash your feet and love Jesus

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com