LumberJocks

sawdust chronicles challenge

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by BigTiny updated 11-06-2010 10:51 PM 9 parts 23261 reads 50 comments total

Part 1: need a little advice

09-11-2010 03:21 PM by BigTiny | 7 comments »

Greetings all. Well, the plans are coming along, but I’ve hit a bit of a roadblock. To make the Rubik’s cube pedestal I will need six different colors, and they must be different enough to stand out against each other. This could be hard to do if I stick with natural wood, so I’ve been thinking of going with a single species with a light color such as white oak or maple, then dye it. I want the grain to be obvious, so something transparent is in order, plus, to keep wi...

Read this entry »


Part 2: rough patterns

09-12-2010 08:50 AM by BigTiny | 4 comments »

Louis cube top, half pattern in gray scale. Rubik’s cube pedestal. These are still rough, but should give an idea of where I’m heading with all this.

Read this entry »


Part 3: a little clearer now?

09-12-2010 12:14 PM by BigTiny | 5 comments »

Here’s the pedestal attached to the base. Should make things a little clearer. The pedestal and top will be attached by a thick dowel running through the pedestal from the base to the top. As usual, comments are welcomed.

Read this entry »


Part 4: update, September 17

09-17-2010 06:48 PM by BigTiny | 2 comments »

Hi all. Well, I picked up a 5×5 sheet of 1/2” Baltic birch plywood yesterday for the substrates and to build a table saw cross cut sled, which I’ll need to complete the build. Also picked up a 12×72 inch sheet of maple veneer. There goes $75 of my budget, although about $25 of that will be charged to the sled project, so net is about $50 so far. Another $5 or so will end up in my veneer collection as I won’t need more than half of the sheet, even with using s...

Read this entry »


Part 5: I'll try anything once

09-24-2010 09:50 AM by BigTiny | 10 comments »

Greetings all. In an attempt to get the brilliant colors I want for my Sawdust Chronicles challenge build, I’ve been trying various methods of coloring wood. One of the more unorthodox ways I’ve tried worked better than I thought it would. Quite a bit better to be precise. Believe it or not, I tried Rit cloth dye! Mixed it a little stronger than the directions called for (1 1/2 cups of water per package instead of 2) and tested on some small pieces of maple veneer. Best ...

Read this entry »


Part 6: update

10-09-2010 09:39 AM by BigTiny | 3 comments »

Greetings all. Well, I haven’t gotten much of anything done this week as my health has taken a rather nasty turn. My back is so sore that I have trouble with the daily grind, let alone working in the shop. I’ve been experimenting with veneering, but that’s about it. Keep your fingers crossed for me, okay?

Read this entry »


Part 7: another update

10-25-2010 09:04 AM by BigTiny | 6 comments »

Greetings all. Well, I’ve been cutting diamond shapes for the Louis cubes and gluing them onto a piece of paper in preparation for gluing to the substrate for the table top. This is very time consuming, as when you put glue on the veneer it starts to curl up and you have to weight it down until the glue sets, so you only get a dozen or so pieces glued at a time and have to wait an hour or so for the setting process. Boring, but it should be worth it in the end. This will be my v...

Read this entry »


Part 8: still one more update

10-28-2010 08:11 AM by BigTiny | 8 comments »

Greetings all. Well, finally got the camera back from the wife, only to find I hadn’t installed the software to use it on our new computer. Took me ages to find the disk. Oh well. finally back in business. There are two photos here, one of the completed cubes for the top. The other is of a couple of pieces from the same flitch of cherry veneer, one raw and one about a minute after wiping it with a sponge moistened with a 1 to 50 by volume solution of lye in distilled water. Q...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Oh well, better luck next time.

11-06-2010 10:51 PM by BigTiny | 5 comments »

I didn’t get it done in time. The old back was protesting too much. I’ll add a few new pics of what is done so far for you all to check out. I hope to finish it yet, but will have to let my back rest up first. Stay tuned. Top, top view. Top, side view. Blank for Rubik’s cube. Blank and top together for scale comparison.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com