In an attempt to get the brilliant colors I want for my Sawdust Chronicles challenge build, I’ve been trying various methods of coloring wood. One of the more unorthodox ways I’ve tried worked better than I thought it would. Quite a bit better to be precise.
Believe it or not, I tried Rit cloth dye! Mixed it a little stronger than the directions called for (1 1/2 cups of water per package instead of 2) and tested on some small pieces of maple veneer. Best results came from two coats applied with a small sponge to both sides (in order to minimize the veneer curling up on me). I applied a couple of coats of clear acrylic finish over the dye to seal it and the results were quite good, although not what I was after for my project.
I can see this as a suitable method for special effects where non traditional colors are desired. Another benefit, it’s cheap. Here in Winnipeg, it’s $2.49 a package, which makes 1 1/2 to 2 cups of solution.
One warning: WEAR RUBBER GLOVES! Otherwise you’re going to have hands in colors nature never intended for them.
Sorry there are no pictures, but my wife is away for a family wedding and she took our camera with her.
-- The nicer the nice, the higher the price!