Hey guys, this is going to by my first out of at least three blogs this summer. Me and my dad are building stuff for the house, and I’m here to document it! :) Without further adieu, here’s (part of) what I did with my summer.
My first blog entry about my summer! How exciting! But…the first one or two will be rather boring, describing the design process and planned construction process and no pictures, but it will get better as we go! (I promise!)
So, we want a new table in the kitchen. The old one (Which my dad made in an apartment!) is getting cramped, scratched, and…well, old. The wood to use is obvious – maple. Our kitchen is already light, (White cabinets and windows abound) so my dad wants something light to fit. (Unlike our current table, stained oak with a mirror top) Maple it is!
We (well, my dad) decided to do the table in two parts, the top and the bottom/legs. The top would be maple ply, surrounded by maple edging to hide the ply. Edging included, we want it to be 61×38 to fit within our piece of MDF, and to follow the golden ratio. The top will sit on the old table until we get some legs together. We want to do the table in two parts because we need/want a table, soon, but we are not sure how to construct the legs.
We also want to do the table in two pieces because we are going to do the table top rather unconventionally – 1/4” ply on a board of MDF (1/2” or 5/8”, I can’t remember which right now) we got with the house, (I think the MDF used to be a headboard) clamped with nothin’ but regular house vacuum power. Yes, I posted a topic about his, yes everybody agreed it was a bad idea, yes my dad is stubborn :) (I must say though, I think I may have mis-expressed myself in my post, and I believe my dad knows what he is doing) He cited using a vacuum in the print shop he worked in the hold irregularly shaped sheet metal flat while being printed on. The vacuum was hooked up to a table with holes in it, and it worked!
Our problem needs a different solution. We decided to use an old mattress bag, put the ply and MDF into it, and duct tape the vacuum tube into it.
B-ooy were we ignorant.
Oh, and as another cliffhanger/hook, remember this is one of three blogs! (Not three parts, three blogs on three different projects!)