So tonight I decided the cut the notches for my serving tray. But what I forgot to do was change my blade to my flat top instead of the v-shape blade so as you can see from my picture I have a little bit of cleaning up to do on the bottoms of my notches.
I decided to leave that for another night when I can sit and do it a tiny bit at a time. The good thing is the notches fit the 5/16” boards just perfect.
I went ahead and cut the rabbit on the edges of my bottom piece and with the sides together this is what I’ve got so far.
As you can see I did not get the bottom edges of my sides just right – but that’s a design opportunity that I’ll fix toward the end. The next step is to glue the sides to the bottom – which will be a challenge but I will probably use tape like they used in the magazine.
Now back to that drum sander issue. I promised better pictures of the drum and the pesky clamp.
The first shot is just a frontal view of the drum.
This next shot shows the clamp that’s the issue. The pencil is pointing to the “flex” part of the clamp. It’s not rigid which creates part of the problem.
I am beginning to think that my best bet to deal with the clamp is simply to ignore it and use the hook and loop paper. So I’m going to look into the prices for that and get moving in that direction. I need to get this thing to where I can use it as I want to get my cutting boards cleaned up as several are going to be Christmas presents.
it’s been very enjoyable being out making some sawdust again. Even though I can only do a small amount at a time, it’s worth every minute and I’m going to make the best of them.
Until next time – hope all of you are having as much fun making sawdust as I am!
-- "Our past judges our present." JFK - 1962; American Heritage Magazine