Well – it’s been six months or so since I’ve been able to work in the shop. So I thought I would start with a project that I am very familiar with and knew I’d could do and be successful. Alas——another set of Adirondack chairs. I need a new set anyway.
So I’m getting all my stuff together and remembering that the last time I made the chairs I had some trouble with my tape not always holding all the way through a pattern cut. You know how it works, you put on several strips of tape, line up your work pieces, press down on it hard, pick it up and shake it making sure it’s good and stuck. Then you start routing and you realize that things are not quite right – the tape slipped!
Anyway I know this will not help everyone in every project, but I thought I’d share anyway.
My chair templates already have the holes drilled for the dowel pegs so that gave me an idea. I still use the tape, but I add a bit of a back up. It dawned on me that I could screw my template to the work piece using a “washer” of sorts by attaching the washer through the already drilled template holes. This is what I did.
This is how I used them.
I used two “washer” per template since I figured if my tape slipped – one washer may just act as a pivot point and still mess up my piece.
After I router, I removed the washers then used my template to drill my peg holes, then removed the tape. It adds an extra step, but it gave me a little bit of confidence knowing my template would not slip and I had no problem.
I can’t use this technique for every job – but for this particular job it worked great. Hope this gives someone else some idea for their projects.
-- "Our past judges our present." JFK - 1962; American Heritage Magazine