I started working on my second shelving unit, though I’m not quite done with the first. I figure I’ll make all my drawer fronts and doors at the same time. Things have slowed down a bit over here with birthdays and holidays and a visit from my BIL. Hopefully I’ll get back in gear soon.
This is the sketch for the 2nd shelving unit on the other side of the fireplace from the first. This one is all one piece, and not as deep as the first one I made. It also has to sit underneath a soffit, so it’s not quite as tall. The bottom half will store board games, as my husband is a board game geek. Then there is a place for the other front speaker, and an adjustable shelf next to that.
And here is where I’m at so far. The case is done and finished. Now I have to make the face frame. This is the back, and the top is to the bottom right.
This one went a little more quickly now that I have a little more clue what I’m doing. Making more use of pocket screws when I can put them out of sight. (Looking at my pic, I could probably use a few more pocket screws, I was trying to throw this together fast before my glue dried.) I used a router for ALL my dadoes this time, and the router and I fought a little bit. So there are some extra gouges but luckily they are all where you can’t see them. I also had a bit of trouble with the plywood. So far I’ve been able to get away with “not-quite-cabinet-grade” maple ply and it’s been really nice. But this time I got a not-so-great piece with a bunch of voids in it. What happens is that when you wet it down with dye, or raise the grain, you end up with a small section with ripples in it as the wood warps. Luckily these are all out of sight too.
I’m still working on the windows bit by bit. They are coming out really nice, and all I need to do now is put on the bottom trim and the sills.
They look really messy as they are covered in drywall dust. I had to trim back the drywall in spots so that everything would meet up without gaps in the trim. But you can get an idea of the design I ended up with. The vertical pieces meet the horizontal pieces with slightly overlapping rabbets.