Downstairs Built-ins Extravaganza! #11: Just a little quick update with no pics

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by BethMartin posted 05-26-2009 04:29 AM 1026 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 10: I need help figuring out what to do with these windows Part 11 of Downstairs Built-ins Extravaganza! series Part 12: Where I'm at! »

Still chugging along. I bought a bunch of wood for my windows. Ho-lee crap. So much wood. I didn’t realize how deep my windows were. I thought I could case out the insides with 1×8”s, but that’s just a shade too narrow. So a ton of 1×10” boards. There’s no way I could afford to do it in the maple I’ve been using for the cabinets. And so I’m doing it in fir. The stained color should be about the same, and I’m going for the rustic look anyway, so it will do. I had to spend about $400 to case out these 4 windows. On FIR. That’s how much wood is involved. I do think they are going to look pretty cool when they are done, though. So I’ll live.

The snag that I have now is that the inner top of the window only really has room for a 1/2” thick board (The header is in the way). And I can’t get 1/2” boards that wide that I know of yet. So I have 1” boards (which are really 3/4”) and I need to have them planed down or something. Or find some wide 1/2” boards. I dunno. The guy at the lumberyard gave me a couple of phone numbers of people with their own shops near me who might be able to help me plane them down.

Anyhoo, so I spent some time ripping wood to put on the inside window cases. The other thing I did was finish up making the face frame pieces for the upper part of the cabinets I’m working on. Then I started putting together the back of that thing, which is made up of tongue-n-groove and I’ll paint that blue before I put it on. I decided to modify the upper part of the case by adding a couple of stringers (I think that is what they are called?) at the top and bottom, for strength. Because the back is a little flimsy and the bottom of it really needs something to attach to. I think it will look neater too. I’m going to stain everything before I put it together. But I should get the bulk of this thing together this week! Yay!

-- Beth

3 comments so far

View lew's profile


12061 posts in 3755 days

#1 posted 05-26-2009 04:51 AM

Looking forward to seeing the final design on the windows!

Just a word about sizing your stock. I would wait until you have the 1×10 planed to 1/2” thick before cutting them to size. Just in case there are any defects in the planing.

Just my $.02

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile


18271 posts in 3675 days

#2 posted 05-26-2009 06:34 AM

$400 for fir!!!!!!!! Sure didn’t look like that much work in the drawings!!

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View BethMartin's profile


111 posts in 3377 days

#3 posted 05-27-2009 05:10 AM

I called up a guy recommended by the lumber yard who they thought would help me plane my boards, and he did! He too warned about the SNIPE when I called him. I became very worried about the snipe. Especially because I’d already cut my boards to length. Crap! I didn’t know about the snipe! I was so worried that I went and bought a couple more longer boards in case mine weren’t going to work anymore and brought those along just in case. (more $$$ – ugh!). But the snipe turned out to be totally negligable. You can barely tell that it’s there, and it’s on a part that you won’t see. Whew!

-- Beth

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics