OK, now I’ve planed the top flat (Stanley #7 , #6, and #5). Getting rid of the cup cost me quite a bit of wood & I’m approaching 3/4” thickness now. There are some deep gouges left by my #5 that my #4 can’t quite reach but I’d like the project to retain its hand-hewn character. I uncovered wormholes along the way that I’ll try to feature prominently. Plane lovers (non-plane lovers, please forgive me for going on about them) will probably spot that #8 in the background, awaiting refurb & sitting with a Paul Hamler scraper in the cockpit :). That #4 is a Sweetheart with a replacement handle. I fashioned the handle out of Wenge for weight & general coolness. It’s one of my favorite planes & use it with the original blade.
Now, I’ve got my front rails & aprons cut to size. I’m off to joint with the #7. The #7 on cherry is as nice as it gets. This one’s got a Hock in it, allowing me one long continuous shaving. Mads will likely spot that chisel in the background. It’s a Japanese Damascus that I found at an antique mall handle-less. The handle’s cocobolo with a brass ferrule from Lee Valley.
Now to mark out the mortises & do some math. No fancy tools here to brag about, just a Shop fox cutter & crown mortise gauge. My plan is to cut the tenons on the powered saw & chop the mortises by hand. We’ll see how the rest of the weekend goes.
Thanks for looking & happy shavings!
-- My dad and I built a 65 chev pick up.I killed trannys in that thing for some reason-Hog