LumberJocks

Musical Instruments Restoration #5: Violin 2 - The Jig for the ribs

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by BertFlores58 posted 07-01-2013 08:41 AM 1408 reads 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Bandurria Picolo Progress Part 5 of Musical Instruments Restoration series Part 6: Bandurria Rib Glued »

Here is the progress of the violin restoration as the continuation of this blog.

In the process, the need for making the ribs of this violin is a must. After several try of bending the wood, there is no way but to make a jig that will hold the steamed wood while it is hot. So here are some of the photos:


I made this using a two boards cut into shape of 3/4 inch plywood and laminated together. That was too thick. I realized later that the correct thickness is just one and 1/4 inch so I chiseled out 1/4 inch on one side… Here is the flip-side.

Then drill the holes depending on the position where a clamp will be position. What I am thinking is to plant a threaded bar in each hole as a pivot center of two strips that will act as the clamp. I have not drawn yet but this will be constructed after I have procured a suitable wrench (pipe or long socket) plus the nuts and washers.

Meantime, If you have any idea on how to clamp this bended ribs to the jig, I would appreciate much if you could share it to me to lessen my work.

At anyrate, I have downloaded the violin diagram for anyone interested in naming the parts of the violin. It is much easier to comprehend when we use the exact words of it.

Up to this point only with respect to the VIOLIN.

BELOW is the first violin I restored years ago (could not remember when was the exact date). If only I have known some of the don’ts of woodworking, it will not be as it is now. I learned a lot… specially about the glue. The one I used before was not really as strong as of the one I use today.

Today, I revisited this back again and found slight problems:

1. The tail pin was pulled out by the gut because of the string pull.

2. The scroll is cracked affecting one the pinholes becoming loose.

3. The finish is not as good as I expected to last… The one previously used was a polyurethane spray.

So I make first the 3rd aspect and second item. The finish I used is URETHANE and it shines good. The crack in the scroll was glued. Here is the actual violin now.


I will give you the next progress later.

Thanks for viewing.

-- Bert



3 comments so far

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

16033 posts in 1611 days


#1 posted 07-01-2013 02:19 PM

Very interesting. Thanks.

helluvawreck aka Charles
http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

-- If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. Henry David Thoreau

View BTimmons's profile

BTimmons

2177 posts in 1230 days


#2 posted 07-01-2013 04:19 PM

This page shows some methods for clamping and gluing the ribs.

-- Brian Timmons - http://www.BigTWoodworks.com

View stefang's profile

stefang

13623 posts in 2079 days


#3 posted 07-01-2013 07:21 PM

Looks good so far.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase