LumberJocks

Musical Instruments Restoration #4: Bandurria Picolo Progress

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by BertFlores58 posted 07-01-2013 05:44 AM 1067 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Bandurria - Key of E Part 4 of Musical Instruments Restoration series Part 5: Violin 2 - The Jig for the ribs »

Here I am back with the restoration of the Picolo (Soprano).. This is the continuation of this blog.

Last Saturday and Sunday, I made a big progress giving attention to the back plate and assembly. Here are the photo and some of my important notes on them.


The back plate with the supports and ribwork. Not to many clamps were used here.


The back plate completed.


In order to add more strength on the front plate (soundboard), support been added. I hope this will not affect the sound quality.


I had fabricated the tail piece from aluminum sheet. A cut a curve from a wood strip and then inserted the folded aluminum sheet then hammer it to form the end of the body. What is missing is just the holes for the string. I will drill it later as the distances of the holes will depend on the bridge.


Mounting and clamping the two plates. Please note that there are only two points where you can clamp.


Note that I have to fit in (not glued yet) the rims to have perfect alignment of the front and back panel.

So this is it for today though I also made the fretboard from kamagong and have not cut the grooves of where the frets are installed.

Till then. What is left here is the fretwork then the rims to be glued.

-- Bert



5 comments so far

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

5228 posts in 1564 days


#1 posted 07-01-2013 08:33 AM

Thank you for taking us with you on this journey.

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View littlecope's profile

littlecope

2949 posts in 2223 days


#2 posted 07-01-2013 10:19 AM

Interesting Blog Series Bert… Very Ambitious of you to take on all this repair and restoration work!
I marvel that you can take the instruments apart so cleanly! If it were me, the parts would all be destroyed…

-- Mike in Concord, NH---Unpleasant tasks are simply worthy challenges to improve skills.

View BertFlores58's profile

BertFlores58

1646 posts in 1643 days


#3 posted 07-01-2013 10:39 AM

Thomas,
Thanks for reading it and joining my journey. To think of the others who really are on business with woodwork… they may not like the way of restoring because it is really a tiresome job. If only, I need one of the musical instruments… I can easily buy some disposable one… made of plywood and many cheap materials. I just hope, I can finish all these and post them as a project. Sharing with you all is a nice thing. In my case, my knowledge came out from you too.

Mike,
I was surprised…. your avatar changed. I thought a new member until I realized that it was you littlecope.
Luckily the glue that they use is somewhat no longer strong. There are some portion that are split and need to be replaced. Thanks for looking at it.

-- Bert

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

5228 posts in 1564 days


#4 posted 07-01-2013 05:19 PM

Bert,

Love that orange clamp! :>)

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View stefang's profile

stefang

13529 posts in 2055 days


#5 posted 07-01-2013 07:17 PM

Another great project Bert and interesting to follow.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase