Here is the progress of the tumbling variation box. Quite interesting as I made a lot of correction on the previous mistakes.
Lippings on the lid.
Notice that a small squaring block is clamp inside. This is to hold the lippings in place aligned to the inner side of lid. This serves also as stopper.
Lippings on the side.
This is much easier than the lid. I can use the magic of masking tape to hold it. Note that the bottom board is not fix yet.
After planing, sanding, and routing… here is how it looks.
Lippings were routed, taped the lid to the side, sand it to fit. A lot of changes because of the mistake in making the miter joint. Have to adjust the lippings several times. I was lucky to have it done.
Fixing the bottom board.
The plan was to use the checkered board that I made earlier. I have to cut it to size with the rabbeted joint. Another mistake happened. Normally, I leave space for the lapping however this board is not possible for such type of work since it is segmented. In order to compensate the strength, I have to make an moulding all around the bottom. I use ebony for added strengrth.
Routing the lippings inside.
This is the first time that I have routed the inner side of the lid. I have to use the side guide block of the router and route with portable router. Another effort of correction.
The lid is much easier. I can use a trimmer bit. But this time, I use the same as the lid.
The wooden hinge.
I still have two narra hinges made for the next pentabox. I can make it next time when the box is on the way. I can use it now for this tumbling variation box. Here are some pictures of how it was attached and shaped.
Wooden latches I made before. This is quite big for the box but I can still reduce the top part.
That is all for today. The final photo as of today….
Have a nice weekend.