LumberJocks

CYLINDER MAKING #6: Blocks stacked together

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by BertFlores58 posted 516 days ago 1143 reads 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: THE WOODEN CYLINDER HINGE CHALLENGE Part 6 of CYLINDER MAKING series Part 7: Progress on Stacked blocks Cylinders »

Another simple way but needs the skillful hands in stacking domino like pieces vertically rather than horizontally. This came into my mind after looking at the candy circular plastic box. The lid is just right to work as the template guide for the circular arc. The photos below will just explain.

After cutting the scrap pieces of different materials, I produced 3/8 inches thick 5/8×1 inch blocks. Cutting and planing manually is the only way for such small pieces so I used the miter box and nailed a stopper on the end. To make it simple for planing, getting to the right thickness, the blocks were glued on one side to a strip of 3/16×3/8 on different lengths which are also scraps cut to size. Then clamp it with the vise and final planing using a shooting board.

Resulting to these pieces:

Plenty of them…. around 180 pieces and thrown out about 20 pieces rejected thickness and wrong length.

Stacking them on the template (plastic circular lid) row by row and piece by piece….(forgot to take a photo thinking that this is only experimental)... I have the result..

Notice that I have 4 rows of those blocks (around 40 pieces per row) stack together and taped on the outside. One row of them is not glued vertically as it will serve as the lid.

That’s all for today… some problems are now visible….\

PROBLEMS….. CAUSE AND EFFECT ….. MAYBE CAN BE SOLVED

1. Outside gaps.. as the blocks were not tapered but rather cut 90 deg …. mix fine sanding dust with glue and let it be the filler
2. Uneven circles of rows…. The gluing is tough to do stacking the pieces … As long as there is enough thickness that could be left, sanding is the best or take the rimmer for router.
3. Design failure… The white strips are not distributed evenly…. Nevermind, No one will ever see except me or probably the brilliant lumberjocks here..

Hope this is a good way of telling the truth to each one not to commit the same mistake I have encountered. But so far…. hope this will still go on…. My dad said… I rather hammer it down back to pieces and throw it to the furnace… LOL.

Till next time…
Have a nice day.

-- Bert



3 comments so far

View jap's profile

jap

1226 posts in 688 days


#1 posted 516 days ago

wow, cool cylinder

-- Joel

View BritBoxmaker's profile

BritBoxmaker

4358 posts in 1670 days


#2 posted 515 days ago

Bert, I would fill the gaps with a black epoxy (or similar plastic) and sand it down to a regular cylinder. Making the gaps a feature rather than trying to hide them.

-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com

View BertFlores58's profile

BertFlores58

1646 posts in 1556 days


#3 posted 515 days ago

Martyn, If ever, I have read your comments earlier, I should have done it. It is still possible but I need to clean the gap a litter deeper. The PVA used is still wet. I did not mix sawdust. I will post the progress after I take photos.

Cheers,

-- Bert

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase