This project started from starbox that was with wooden hinge. It was addictive to challenge myself in making hinges from different type of wood. This project came up only without any plans because I could not make it in sketchup. Martyn (Britboxmaker) was really helpful. On one of the comments, he drawn the box using the TURBOCAD.. Much to learn from my side…
So here it goes….
1. Making the cover was done first…. to estimate how much I need for the stars to extend. Whatever available parquet (2×4 floor tiles Narra) I could cut. Then try to mix other color to give contrast. Not a good contrast though the design of a star makes it outstanding.
2. Tapered pentabox…. Using the compound miter saw…. Set it to 5 degree horizotal offset from 90 deg and 72 degree vertical to make pentagon. This was done on the 3 corners… The plan for the center dividing stock is done mathematically by taking the offset of 72 on the vertical.. Glue one piece first then joined the other half completing the figure 8..
3. Leveling the bottom and top. I did not expect that cutting 5 degree with 90 degree will result to this..
The top and bottom needs to be sanded…. so I did. Pencilled in against a flat granite then start by handplane… later with sanding manually using the flat surface and sandpaper. Here is the final…
4. Working on the hinge. The wooden hinge is made from a very strong wood but not brittle and dense. I dont have any idea what kind of wood is this. From recycled of course… I made the groove using a portable router with straight bit 1/8 then cut the slots on the cover first… I avoided the star points not to be destroyed. Next, the permanent one.. The other piece was patterned to the first. I haven’t taken photos in doing this but if you are interested I will make a video next time… This is the final thing how it looks like.
5. Assembly for bottom and the hinge. The use of dowel made it possible in making a quick clamp for this work. Without dowel, there is no way to clamp these… yes it is possible to put weights on the top but not really promising that it will not be moving. Here is how it looks:
The dowel used is a chopstick made from bamboo.. cheap but in the right size 5 mm dia. The hardest part is you have to drill it manually… it is not perpendicular… At least I missed two.. One on the top hinge…. the other on the bottom just slightly protruding on the outside wall…. No bad.
The bottom with dowel… The easiest flooring to do but this is very strong because the pins are inserted in inclined position locking the board in place.
HERE IS THE FINAL MAKE…. Ready for trimming and finishing tomorrow. Till next time…
Have a nice day.