The cylinder is done and splitted into two parts. One becoming the lid and the other the container.
INLAY ON TOP AND BOTTOM LID.
The bottom showing the inlay
The top showing the inlay
Prior splitting the lid and container, I made the grove along in preparation for the lipping and banding. I use a Japanese saw to make the guide and then use a square file to make the grove and control the depth. This is the same method in making the groove for the top and bottom where an inlay was made out of black – Philippine ebony “Kamagong”. Just imagine how you will prepare a banding which is 1/16 thick and 1/8 width. Well, patience. I made the banding by ripping manually then sanding it with portable sander. The grains is too tought to control from splitting. Kamagong was really strong and I need to make several layers of tape to hold it in place. I did not steam it neither mold it.
Splitting the two done by a Japanese saw being so precise. Quite persevering…. nothing to hold it but my left hand. I cannot use clamps because it is very resilient but quite strong as a whole. My last bit of cutting was really tough not to destroy the inside veneer.
Here is the picture after splitting
Up to this time …. There are some challenges to go… the LIPPING, the HINGE.