Coming bigger and complicated… I like challenges….
THE 2 X 6 X 12 inches box... actual size made… 2-1/2×5-3/4×11-1/2 inches
I tried to glue end to end the two pieces of 2×6 parquets and create a 2×12 strip. Hand plane to size just to take out the paint and level it with others. It is difficult to press lengthwise. A stronger masking tape had help a lot and served like a clamp. Stretched fully just right that it will not break. Here how the two pieces end to end joined….
As you can see the tape is wrap around to create tension to press the glue up like a clamp action.
Next joining it together crosswise making a 6×12 parquetry. Here I don’t mind the grain orientation and the colors. It is hard to select wood of the same grain orientation and color. What is important is the proper arrangements so that the planing directions for all pieces are on the same direction. Narra is quite difficult to plane. It creates a lot of tearout.
This point.. Gloss lacquer was applied just to seal the grain and make it stable. The best is sanding sealer but I ran out of it so lacquer can do the job.
The two sides front and rear are miter with the left and right sides forming a 6×12 box. After checking the depthness… noticed the wrong proportion. The inside depth is too shallow. So I added a strong wood of brown wood strips and increased the depth to 2 inches (measured from inside. Routed the shoulder for the bottom cover then fitted the cover. Amazingly, the bottom cover has a good color and grains. Before assembly, all the pieces were sanded by an angle grinder and final sanding was done by a flat sander. Notice that some of the tearout were filled up by narra powder mixed with glue. The sanded powder was used as it is very fine.
The tearout filled by powder and glue….
The added extension portion brown scrap wood (not classified wood as it comes from scrap and recycled).
Working on the pinned hinges…..
1) Rounded the rearside using a round over bit using a router.
2) Rounded the lid using cove bit using a router. A little bigger so I shape it with a plane.
3) Cut to size two pieces of ebony (Kamagong) to be the top sides…. this is a strong wood and will be the nicest to use… It is better to make the pinhole first on this side pieces prior gluing. I have made two mistakes in drilling the pinhole but nothing to worry because it is still too long.
4) With the lid aligned and the ebony side pieces pinned temporarily to the lid, then I glued the ebony to the box sides…. I use a tape to hold it in place and clamp them. (I was not able to take photo)
Here are the series of photos all about the how the pinned hinges looks.
The Pin and the plug skewers….
The ebony top pinhole…..
After assembling the lid with pin… (I have not assembled it totally because I have to make the lid handle and front lock)
And I have to hold it for today… Have to think of what I will do with the front lock and handle… I like it to be wooden….. Till next..
Thanks and hope I have shared nice ideas today… anyway it should have been easier if I had not used scraps… but no challenge…