Well it’s been while since I did anything on the new workshop garage. I finally got the flooring completed, but then before I could get started on doing anything inside, we had a visit from Hurricane Joaquin. I knew I should have drilled some holes in the back wall to relieve the pressure from the high winds, but I never got around to it, so when the hurricane force winds hit, the pressure blew out a panel in the rear of the garage.
Luckily, I was able to find the panel in the aftermath of the hurricane, and it had suffered only minimal damage, so the following weekend, with help I was able to force the panel back into place. Boy those things are a bugger to get back into place after the whole garage is built and everything is screwed down and siliconed.
So this weekend I put in some support bracing to strengthen the walls. My fears about the wall strength were realized once the garage was complete. There was no way those walls would support any kind of weight, so I thought putting up some bracing would increase the rigidity and strength.
I designed a brace that was 1 foot and screwed into the floor, and 5 foot 4-1/2 inches up the wall on top of that, screwed into the panel supports. I will put a diagonal brace across these two, but those pieces alone have made the walls incredibly rigid. I will be putting up a sheet of 1/2 inch ply 2 foot by 10 foot 8 inches along one wall, that will serve as the backing for a french cleat system to hang my most used tools. On the other wall, I plan to put a folding workbench designed by fellow lumberjock April Wilkerson http://lumberjocks.com/projects/122489 who has some really neat projects, and is very easy on the eye.
I ran out of lumber for the cross braces, so next weekend I’ll get those 2 by 4s and some 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch plywood. Stay tuned… it’s almost done.
-- Making sawdust in Bermuda. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it!