Ok guys, this part of the build has def been the most tedious. I cut that hole for the leg vise screw with a 2 9/16” fortstner bit that the drill press wouldn’t touch and my electric drill was stripping gears, so I did it by hand with a 10” Stanley brace! My elbow paid dearly for it but it worked. As it turns out, I’m an idiot and I’m thinking that where I drilled the hole is not deep enough for the jaw. It only leaves 4 1/2” between the top and screw. Big mistake! I also split the bottom of that leg with one of the drawbore pegs. With it being pointed, it acted like a large wooden spike and I hit it too hard and it split the leg at the bottom. I glued and clampled and I think it’ll be fine, but it ticked me off! So now that I have a nice large hole through the leg, I think I’m going to use the two vise screws I picked up from lee valley that were originally going to be used for a twin screw end vise and use them for a front twin screw instead of the leg vise!. I’ll use my lake Erie screw on my next bench which I’m sure I’ll make in the next year or two because I was very unhappy with how this one turned out. It was a big learning project and I made A ton of mistakes, some fixable, some not, but I learned a lot and it’ll certainly work as a solid workbench for now until I get the urge to build my next. I also think the twin screw will work better for dovetailing as I love to make dovetail boxes. I still have some small things to finish up but it’s almost there!
-- Greg, Owner, Quality Carpet One, www.qualitycarpetonecrofton.com