So, yesterday I was making a frame for an antique carved panel and decided to try mortise and tenon for the joints. Just square ones, not mitered or anything. I never tried them before, but of course I didn’t even consider that. Never know how if ya don’t try it anyway right?
So I dove right in and cut the tenons on the table saw. Easy peasy, that went great and took almost no time at all. THEN I set about cutting the mortises. Pretty much as soon as I got the tenons finished and was thinking about the mortises, I thought DUH, I should have done the mortise first. Oh well, maybe next time.
I don’t have a dedicated mortiser or even the drill press attachment, so I set up my drill press to drill most of the waste out of the holes. By the time I got to the third one, I realized my holes were way off center. WTF? My first one was dead on. How did this happen? Apparently, when I set up my drill press (a Rikon radial DP) I forgot to lock the radial adjustment, so as I went it walked quite a bit. Lovely.
Ok, so let’s try this again… I redrilled my holes even bigger, chiseled out the mortises and glued in some filler blocks. I am getting pretty good at fixing mistakes if nothing else. I went through the whole process again, double checking ALL of my setup. In the end, I have reasonably square if not perfect joints. by the last one, I was feeling pretty good about doing them. I will definitely go about it different next time, as I now have a pretty solid list of what NOT to do. I’ll update with pictures of the finished project later.
-- Welcome to downtown Coolsville, Population: US! --Hogarth Hughes