The other day my dad and I were laying some Swift-lok flooring in my house and we came to a joint that had significantly raised on one side, it looked like the crappy chip board sub floor had expanded on the edge prior to being laid down and nailed into place. after sinking the nails we sanded a bit and decided that we would need to do something else as I do not own a belt sander (I know, I should own a belt sander) and the joint was still badly raised. i went down to my garage shop and scanned around looking for something that might help. What I saw was my Craftsman #4 plane that my father-in-law gave me as a Christmas present. I imagined the blade dinging in and tearing chips off the floor only to be jammed into the plane, then spending a few minutes to clear the chips and try again, in my head the process was not going to go well, but I had no other options. My dad seemed to share my skepticism by raising an eyebrow when i showed him the plane. There was nothing to do now but try it. so I did. And it worked perfectly! shaving up a thin uniform continuous spiral, to reveal a perfect cross-section of the compressed chip board. Awesome! I planed it flat in no time and the new flooring laid on top with no gaps at all.
Here’s to keeping your blades sharp:-)
-- I played with Legos as a kid and I never had the part I thought I needed, so I learned to improvise. Now I'm an engineer with a woodworking hobby.