Last weekend I began making the substrate for the router table top. The substrate was created by gluing together two pieces of 3/4” thick Baltic Birch plywood measuring 28” x 32”.
I started cutting one of the two pieces from one sheet of 4’ x 8’ Baltic Birch. Since I do not have an assistant to help cut the plywood on my table saw, I laid the sheet on two saw horses and made the initial cuts of the first piece using a circular saw guided along a straight edged clamp. I made the initial cuts a little larger than necessary because I later squared them up with the table saw.
Like the first piece of the substrate, I cut the second piece a little larger than necessary but this time I didn’t square it off with the table saw. I would do this later using the router after the two pieces were laminated together. I chose to square it up in this manner because glue’s slippery nature makes it difficult trying to align two identical pieces together.
I then sandwiched a layer of glue between the two pieces making sure that the larger piece was properly placed so that I could trim off its edges with a flush trim router bit after the glue dried. I put clamps on the two pieces where I could and then laid Olympic weights on top of the rest of the wood. I did this all on my table saw because it is flat and sturdy.
After the glue had set up, I put the substrate back on the saw horses with the larger half of the substrate on top. I ran the flush trim router bit along the sides to make everything equal.
This weekend I will round off the corners with my oscillating spindle/belt sander and apply the counter top laminate on both sides. Hopefully, I can also install the t-track and miter slot hardware and have the top completed. I have pictures but need to get them off of my camera, and I need to find an online place to store the photos. I’ll also try to get that done this weekend as well.
-- There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't!