There has been a lot going on here in northeast Ohio the last couple months. Aside from the weather getting colder and now daylight less abundant, I am hustling to get inside before it really gets too cold. In a rush to get things done, I took on two big projects, electric and siding. I spent many hours researching how to install soffit and siding as I have never tried hanging it before, but it didn’t look to difficult. I sent a sketch of my building to a local siding supply company and they sent me the materials. I started on the back of the building in case I screwed up somehow that it would not be viewed from the road. I worked on the sides next them front last, finally completing it today. For my first siding job I am satisfied with the results. Once the garage doors are installed, it will finally be a visually completed garage.
I started electric rough-in three weeks ago. I bought most of my supplies from Lowes, but needed some more special material I purchased from an electric supplier. I was really lucky that a close friend of a family member is a union electrician and volunteered to help out. The big bonus to getting your electric run relatively free (I am paying him some as a thank you) and that he works for a very large electric company, is that he has material left over from every job the he donated to the cause. Items such as lock nuts, tape, breakers, receptacles, etc that I did not need to purchase. Three of us including myself, my father, and our electrician friend started drilling and running wire. I rented a trencher and trenched a ditch from the house to the shop (about 50 feet) for electric and another for water and natural gas. After a few more evening and weekends, the rough-in was complete. I ran a 100 amp subpanel from our 200A main in the house. Most of our appliances are gas and we occupy very little in the house so I figured I could get away with it (more on that in a minute). Once done with the rough-in I called in an inspection. The one thing I was surprised, and not very pleasantly, was that all the receptacles have to be tamper resistant. I was a little upset about it because this is a garage, receptacles are 46in off the ground, they are more expensive, and are a pain trying to plug things in. Also all power has to be GFI protected. I purchased 3 GFI breakers before ditching that idea due to the $55 price tag each. My electrician said we can wire each home run in the series with a GFI receptacle until inspection (then they disappear mysteriously). Back to the subpanel…. I ran only a few electrical outlets. The final total was 53×20amp 110volt outlets and 7×30amp 220 volt outlets, including one in the ceiling. There are 8 outlets for lights in each half of the building and two for ceiling fans. I also wired in low voltage lines for cable, cat 6e for Internet, and 7 wire for a garage door opener in the attached garage. In total I have 22 of the 24 slots in my panel full.
Next installment with be wall insulation, steel ceiling installation, and blown in attic insulation. Garage doors will be installed in the coming week or two, and natural gas a water lines will be finished next week. Until then, may the sawdust keep flying.