Here is a shot of the top and the shelf. I taped and marked the shelf because it will be notched around the legs. I measured from the center out. I didn’t want to work from one side and push any play all to one end.
I wanted to cut on the band saw but that would have meant marking the top and bottom. It is too long to cut it all in the band saw without flipping it over. I thought this will be a perfect opportunity to screw it up. So instead I cut it just a little shy using a jig saw.
So here it is all cut. It was a little tight, so I took it to the band saw and cut a saw blade width off each side of each notch. The band saw worked great for this. I used a 1/2” blade. I went slow, so no drift. It shaved off a very fine sliver. Because I had already cut to a line and I was just trying to make it fit better, I could flip the piece over without any headaches. Then it fit well.
And here are a few views of the final assembled piece.
Now I’m just waiting on the tile. Should arrive before the middle of the month. I’ll have to cut a mortise and inset the tile. It is 4” x 18” and will be centered in the 11” x 33” top. Below is the tile I ordered, but it will be a dark blue color,... sorry,... dark blue “colour”. (It’s coming from Canada).
I’ll post a few pics when I get the tile.