I didn’t want straight rails. Here I’ve drawn an arch on the rails. I then cut the waste off on a band saw. I cut close but not up to the line.
In the picture above are the rough cut rails. I have a pattern I used on an earlier project. I saved it and I’m glad I did because it’s perfect for this table. I made it from 1/4” masonite. Some people use double sided tape to hold the pattern to the piece. I used 3 small screws.
Below I have a pattern or flush-cut bit mounted on the router table. It leaves a nice clean edge.
Oops. I got some tear-out on this piece. I could have avoided this by feeding from one direction for most of the cut. Then raising the bit to expose the lower bearing, flipping my work “pattern down”, and finishing the cut.
I’ve got a lot of work in this piece so I glued the tear-out back down. I had to fill a little space because the chip broke completely off. I made a slurry of glue and saw dust and filled the narrow void.
Works for me. This repaired rail is on the lower part of the table, under the shelf.
More to come.