So after I finished cutting the mortises, I stood the legs upright to visualize the table. It was then that I realized I had made an error in the layout. I had laid out and cut the left to right mortises, (for the front rail), on the wrong side of the legs. I am so proud of myself for not throwing anything across the shop. I just stood there and thought what was I thinking…?
#3 below is on the wrong side of the leg. You can see that the side rail, (mortise #4), would be inset 7/8” instead of the planned 3/8”
Now I had to cut the mortises on the correct side of the legs. Not a big problem. The problem is, what do I do with eight extra holes. On a different project I filled similar holes using a butterfly inlay made of walnut. I considered this but 8 is a lot of butterflies. Instead I decided to add some corbels on the outside edges.
#10 below is the mortise cut on the correct side of the leg.
Below are the front and back rails. I cut the tenons on the router table. I have a Jessum lift and it is very accurate and repeatable. These tenons all fit very snug.
Below are the side rails and some of the corbels. Out of 24 tenons, 22 fit well. 2 were cut too loose. Not by much. Only a few thousands of an inch off.
I planed some shavings off of a piece of pine. Here I have glued the shaving onto a loose tenon. It doesn’t take much to repair it. I think you could glue a piece of paper onto the tenon and get the same result.
Notice how the date stamp on my camera is now correct. That was more work than the tenons. More to come after St Paddy’s Day.