Here are the legs. They are cut to length. Originally I was going to make them 1.5” square. But I’ve decided to make them 1.5” x 2.0”. I’ll be cutting a taper on the lower 5” but that comes later.
I’ve laid out the mortises. I was going to make a 1/4” by 2” tenon so I marked up the mortises for that. Then I started thinking, (always a dangerous thing), a 1/4” mortise will be difficult to cut and clean out. So I changed to a 3/8” wide tenon and only 1.5” long, 7/8” deep.
I use a 3/8” drill bit and carefully drill at the ends of the mortise. Then I use a 1/4” bit to clear out material. The pencil lines were for the original plan of 1/4” tenons, that’s why they don’t line up with anything. When setting up the drill press I was careful to get the fence set just right. Then I do not move it until all the drilling is finished. If I have it set wrong the error will be consistent across all of the mortises.
Next I start squaring off and removing the waste using chisels. This takes some time but I find it very enjoyable. Here are the first 2 of 16 mortises.
Here are the rough rails. They need some joining to trim to size. I’ll work on the tenons after all of the mortises are cut.
Here is the top without clamps, cauls and wax paper. The glue up came out nice and flat. I may plane it slightly or possible sand it to even the surface out. I’m not quite up to hand planing it to finished dimensions. Maybe some day…
Maybe next time I’ll figure out how to reset the date on the camera. More to come next week.