There has been a long dry spell. I’ve been busy with the holidays and work. So over the last two weeks I’ve been getting some time to get back to the project.
Things were going well. I was sanding down to the depth gauge holes. I had a problem when I checked the curve against the profile guide.
So I made a frame and bolted a dial indicator to it so I can accurately measure the thickness. I found that I am too thin in the transition from the highest area to the slope down to the tailpiece. I could still see the remnants of the depth gauge holes I drilled. I must have drilled too deep.
I was careful in setting up the drill press but it is definitely off. I made a step gauge for setting the drilling depth. I checked the measurements, they are correct. Maybe the adjustable stop on the drill press moved. Maybe I wasn’t holding the piece flat against the drill press table as I drilled.
I’m not going to use this piece. The problem area is where the bridge will be positioned and I don’t want to try and force it to work. So I ordered some new blanks and will start again.
I will continue working the original piece for the practice of shaping the inside. I’m not afraid of screwing up. I just want to figure out how I screwed up so I don’t repeat the error again.