I started removing the waste with a flat chisel. This was working at first but it is hard to control. I found myself pulling off larger than desired pieces of wood. I purchased a curved gouge. This gave my inexperienced hands a little more control.
I removed as much as I dared. Then switched to a sanding disc on my drill press. It removed wood very quickly. I was getting close to my desired curve near the edges. But still had more to remove between the center and the outside edge. So I bought a Random Orbital Sander. A 5” DeWalt. It also works very well.
You can see as the drilled depth gauge holes start to shrink and disappear. I don’t want them to disappear completely. If I do, I have nothing to judge the height and I could remove too much wood. I’ll work the area between the center and outside edge with the ROM. I may have to switch to hand sanding on some parts. I think luthiers use finger planes as they get close. I’ll just go slow and make do with what I have.
This is the sound board. It is Adirondack Spruce. It is more forgiving than the maple on the back. I’m hoping to refine my skills enough on the spruce before starting to carve the back.