The raw lumber comes with matched set of halves to be glued together to form the front, (sound board), and the back of the mandolin. The sound board is Adirondack spruce. The back is red maple.
They were already squared up by the tone-wood supplier. I ran them through the jointer to clean up the edge before gluing.
I also ran the opposite side through. This squared up the rough edge so they would lay against the cauls better. I didn’t want it to twist in the clamps.
I cut some PVC to go over my pipe clamp’s black pipes. I’m hoping this will lift the work just enough so I don’t pick up any black marks from the clamps.
Clamped up and glued. Nice squeeze out. I didn’t want to over tension the clamps. I used the cauls to apply even pressure along the edge. Hopefully I used enough pressure.
More to come next week,