I’ve been itching to try new and challenging projects. Over the past two years I’ve made some mortise and tenon joints. Some simple inlay. Intarsia, (not yet finished). I bought a used band saw and have been experimenting with curves.
I have wanted to try building an instrument. A guitar seems too big. A dulcimer might be a better start. But I’m learning to play a mandolin, so that’s what I’m going to attempt. There are kits available. I debated buying a kit and trying that route. Kits can come in various stages of completion. Instead I bought a raw lumber set. It is cut and selected for a mandolin. Here is the wood.
Adirondack spruce top, red maple back sides and neck. The dates are incorrect on the pics, sorry.
I am also going to use metric for this project. Should make it easier. The plans are metric and it will be easier to “give in” than try converting all those measurements. I used metric at work years ago and I actually like it. A bit of an adjustment in the shop though.
I expect this to take me a few months. Lots to learn. A few jigs to make. Lots of skills to improve upon. I’ll keep the tone wood supplier’s address handy in case I have to start over.