Well, the tables are assembled and I’m happy with how they turned out.
The tables are nesting. They all fit within the largest table’s footprint.
There are decorative slats on the sides of each table. if I were to do it over, I would add the slats to the rear of the tables also.
This is a view of the large table’s top. 20” square.
Middle size table. About 14” square.
The small table. About 9” square.
Only task left is to sand the top and give one more coat of poly. There are some minor abrasions from assembly. Plus I’m hoping to fill in some open grain.
New skills I learned and practiced:
I worked from rough lumber. This is the first project where I planed all the wood.
I used mortise and tenon joinery. Drilled out the excess and chiseled to final size. Tenons made on a router table.
I mortised an area for the tiles to drop in the tops.
The tabletops were mitered on my table saw using an incra mitering sled.