I posted earlier how I cut unneeded mortises in four table legs. Well today I started fixing this error. I decided to cut the motises and plug them with bow-tie keys. The legs are white oak. The keys are walnut.
Now the mortise.
Gluing it in place.
Protect the sides and cut with a flush saw.
Well shoot, this didn’t work too well. The saw dug in. I had trouble controlling it’s path. I’m sure it’s operator error. Unfortunately it may be too deep to sand. I’m not sure how I’ll fix it. (suggestions welcome)
When I’m stumped I move on. Below is the second mortise to repair. I cut the mortise with a little more care. I made a clean shelf for the key to rest upon.
It fit better so I glued it in place.
This time I used a block plane to make it flush. Then sanded by hand. Looks a lot better.
This is how I’ll make the last two repairs.